When you think of a daisy, you think of a small white round flower with a round yellow center, right?
Well, here’s some fun facts about daisies…
- A single daisy flower is actually made up of two separate flowers. The center petals are one flower surrounded by the “rays” of another flower.
- Daisies grow all year round.
- Daisy leaves are edible. Some people add them to their salads.
- The Old English word meant “day’s eye” because daisy flowers only opened during the daytime.
“Daisy” also became a slang word in the early 1800s…
- It meant the best or most marvelous. Kind of similar to saying that something is the cream of the crop.
- Innocence, especially with white daisies with yellow or pale centers.
- Purity – also shown by daisies that are as white as possible.
- New beginnings, which is why they are often found in bouquets for new mothers or as gifts for children.
- True love – because each daisy flower is really two flowers blended together in harmony.
- That the sender can keep a secret. Keeping a secret is one way a person can exhibit that they truly love another.
I totally get why daisies are the friendliest flowers!
The sponsor for this week is Birch Press Designs and they are generously providing a $20 gift certificate to our randomly chosen winner!
Check out their new fall 2017 catalog, they have some fabulous layering dies!
I saw some wild daisies on the side of the road when I was riding my bike last week, so they were the first flower to come to mind when I was making my card. I love this quote from the movie You’ve Got Mail!
I made a .png digital file to share. Just right-click on the sentiment below and save to your computer to print on card stock!
I typed the quote in Photoshop Elements using the Bakery font and printed on Club Scrap® card stock. I stamped the background using the JFF Rubber Stamps cluster of stalks stamp image using Memento Bamboo (darker green) and New Sprout (lighter green) inks. I stamped the JFF Rubber Stamps cone daisies stamp and arranged them over the stalks with my Stamp-a-ma-jig. I stamped the cone daisies again on specialty Spectrum Noir card stock in Memento Cocoa ink and colored them with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers. I fussy cut them out and adhered over the stamped background images, so that the cute scribbly stems would show. It took a while, but I find fussy cutting relaxing!
As always, I add a little sparkle with Stickles!
Check out what the rest of the Design Team Sweeties have created and be sure to link up your creation on the Cupcake Inspirations blog!
Do more of what makes you happy!